Just some tidbits based on Wikipedia:
1. Born on 29 September 1961 (48 years old)
2. Born in Wales.
3. Her father was a coal miner in Wales
4. Sister Alison’s three years older
5. Migrated to Adelaide in 1966 when she was 4 years old. (She suffered from bronchopneumonia as a child and her parents were advised it would be good for her to live in a warmer climate.)
6. She attended the University of Adelaide and studied Arts-Law and graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Laws degree and with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1990
7. In 1987 she joined left-leaning law firm Slater & Gordon, working in the area of industrial law
8. Julia Eileen Gillard is her full name
9. Never married before. Her current partner is Tim Mathieson, a hairdresser (she does not have any children).
10. Tilda Swindon lookalike, according to bloggers
I like that she mentioned decent treatment at work:
I believe fundamentally that the basic education and health services that Australians rely on, and their decent treatment at work, is at risk at the next election.
I love this country, and I was not going to sit idly by and watch an incoming opposition cut education, cut health, and smash rights at work.
Although its great having a female prime minister and all she is still part of the labor party and everything they stand for. Personaly I’m a liberal girl but that just may be the capitalist in me talking….
don’t know much about Australian politics so I can’t really comment. Was just curious to find out more about her since she is the first female PM of Australia and it was all over the web.
On a different note, she kind of reminds me of a less glammed up version of Miranda (from sex and the city – for all you non-fans out there).
actually that’s exactly what I thought too!! great minds… ;-p