A female penal colony in South Hobart, that operated between 1828 and 1856. It was used for colonisation as well as punishment. The women were seen as immoral and corrupt.
The Factory was located, in damp swamp land, and with overcrowding, poor sanitation and inadequate food and clothes, there was a high rate of disease and mortality among its inmates. (Source: Wikipedia)