We should really break the stigma that comes with mental illness or just any kind of existence that doesn’t fit into what the establishment considers normal. Really, who is to say what exactly normal is. It’s very hard to define. I think every one of us has a little bit of madness in us. We probably just learnt to suppress it over the years.
Just some of my favourite quotes about sanity:
1. You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it (Robin Williams)
2. There is no great genius without some touch of madness. (Seneca)
3. In a mad world only the mad are sane. (Akira Kurosawa)
4. For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity. (Jean Dubuffet)
5. There is no such thing as ‘too insane’ unless others turn up dead due to your actions. (Mahatma Gandhi)
6. I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. (Edgar Allan Poe)
Of course I wish that all these phobias that I now have would disappear, but reading these quotes make me feel a whole lot better. Hope it comforts anyone out there dealing with the stigma of not fitting into the norm.
I for one, love square pegs. They make life a whole lot more interesting. Think Vincent Van Gogh, Michelangelo and so many other greats. Seems like you need madness for genious to emerge. Did you know that The Starry Night was created while Vincent was in an asylum?
I completely agree. Edgar Allen Poe’s quote is a signature favorite!
just felt like doing my lil bit to dispel the awful stigma….especially in conservative societies like ours.
Somehow artists are always being linked to insanity/alcoholism/depression. Perhaps that is what made them/their works different. These days, things are mostly grey.
I think you might like this book, Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.
I am already captivated by the title….will pick it up soon..thanks Jayne 🙂
Side track a little… Did you hear the story that Van Gogh did not kill himself, but instead murdered?
heard a lil bit but don’t know the whole story.